Two cops suspended after girl claimed raped by detainee in Miri lockup

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Police are investigating an incident in which a 16-year-old girl claimed that she was raped by a male detainee while being held at the Miri Police Station lockup on January 9.

Sarawak police commissioner Datuk Aidi Ismail has given the assurance that a thorough investigation would be carried out to determine whether there are elements of negligence in the case.

“Two police personnel on duty on the day the incident took place have been immediately suspended from their duties,” he said.

He also said the male detainee has been charged under Section 376(1) of the Penal Code for rape, and the case is set for re-mention at a court in Miri on Feb 9.

Senator Alan Ling Sie Kiong through a posting on his Facebook page today said that a teenage girl has lodged a police report over the incident.

According to Ling, who accompanied the teen to lodge her report, the assailant was a juvenile offender.

The rapist was charged on Jan 12 for the crime and pleaded guilty.

The teen wants police to investigate the negligence which led to her rape as well as whether there was complicity on behalf of the police personnel on duty at that time.

(R-L) Lawrence Low, Alan Ling, victim’s father.

Meanwhile, Ling and his assistant Lawrence Low – both of whom are practising lawyers – are planning to file a civil suit on behalf of the teenager seeking compensation and damages over the sexual assault.

Based on a police report, the 16-year-old girl had alleged that she was detained by a police team at the seafood restaurant where she works in Miri on Jan 8 for suspected involvement in an illegal gambling case.

She was later detained at the Miri central police station lock-up for a night to facilitate investigations.

The teenager claimed she was the only woman in the lock-up, and that she was placed in a cell which was separated from 12 male detainees.

However, she alleged that the cell with 12 men was unlocked.

She claimed between 4am and 5am, a detainee, who allegedly had the key to the women’s lock-up, had opened the cell door and brought her to the police station’s toilet and raped her.