Adib Inquest: Witness Says Saw Someone in Fireman’s Pants Hit by EMRS Vehicle

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

A witness testifying at the inquest into the death of Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim told the Coroner’s Court here that he saw someone in fireman’s pants get hit by a reversing fire truck.

He did not, however, identify the man as Adib.

Pakistani national Budd Mohsin, the 20th witness in the inquest, said he saw this person being squeezed by an Emergency Medical Rescue Service (EMRS) van and parked cars near the Seafield temple on Nov 27, 2018.

Mohsin told coroner Rafiah Mohamad that he was visiting a friend, a security guard who worked in a residential area near the temple, and that they were able to see what was going on outside the temple from where they stood.

Sometime before 1am that morning, Mosin said he saw two fire engines arrive along the main inner road – a fire rescue tender (FRT) truck followed by an EMRS van which was directly behind the FRT.

“I saw a group of Indians approach and throw something at the lorry (the FRT). I saw someone from the lorry get down from the passenger’s side. He just stood outside.

“The person in the passenger’s seat got down from the van after that. Then, one other person came from where I do not know, and stood in between the lorry and the van.

“The one in the middle wore a helmet and the orange-green Bomba uniform. The one from the lorry wore a full Bomba uniform but he had an orange jacket and no helmet.

“And the one from the van, I can’t recall what coloured shirt he wore, maybe black or blue, but his pants were the same as the Bomba pants,” Mohsin, 24, said today in Punjabi.

When the group of Indians approached the FRT, Mosin said, the fireman who was in the middle, with the helmet, as if expecting to be attacked, quickly entered the FRT via its sliding door on the side.

As this group started to hit the FRT with bottles and wood, the one with the fireman’s pants and dark coloured shirt – the one who had been in the EMRS van’s passenger seat and who was then standing at the back of the van – wanted to run.

“He saw that big group approaching to where he was. And because the fireman in the middle closed the sliding door and went inside quickly, this person could not enter the van. So, he was ready to run to the Caltex station nearby.”

Then, the FRT backed into the EMRS, pushing it backwards, to get away from the rowdy crowd. The EMRS hit the fireman who was next to its back left tyre and squeezed him in between cars on the side of the road, he said.


Mosin said: “He was facing towards the temple when the FRT reversed and hit the EMRS which squeezed the victim and the cars. Then, with his head facing the (USJ 17) Caltex, he fell down backwards, his feet facing Caltex.”

The inquest proceedings stopped at this point for lunch.

Mohsin, an airconditioner technician from USJ 11 who has been living in Malaysia for the last four years, did not, however, name the fireman as Adib.

The inquest previously heard that Adib was inside the EMRS at the time the FRT backed into it, which led the FRT to spin 180 degrees. It has not been established how Adib was eventually found on the main road.

Mohsin was questioned by deputy public prosecutor and conducting officer Hamdan Hamzah, who is part of a three-member team from the Attorney-General’s Chambers.

Mohsin had visited his friend the security guard after returning from Main Place in USJ 21. He later saw a car being torched on the road from where he stood inside the residential area.

An inquest into Adib’s death was called by the Pakatan Harapan government this year amid conflicting claims on the cause of the late fireman’s death after he showed up at the Seafield riots.

Adib, 24, was part of the Emergency Medical Rescue Services sent from the Subang Jaya fire and rescue station to the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple on Nov 27. He is said to have been attacked there.

He succumbed to his injuries on Dec 17 at the National Heart Institute. – FMT