Cop: Distressed Altantuya lodged report of Razak’s threat to her life

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Murdered Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu lodged a police report hours before she went missing that her lover Abdul Razak Baginda was a threat to her life although she had come to Malaysia to collect some money from him as promised, the Shah Alam High Court heard today.

Corporal Nurwazlihawa Ibrahim, who took Altantuya’s report at the Tun HS Lee station at Jalan Bandar at about noon on Oct 19, 2006, said she looked distressed.


Corporal Nurwazlihawa Ibrahim (left) and Zamilah Mamat testified in today’s hearing of the RM100 million civil suit by Altantuya Shaariibuu’s family members.

“She spoke in English very fast, but I could not understand her, so I asked constable Mohd Salleh Ibrahim, who was at the counter, to communicate with her,” she said when reading her witness statement.

Nurwazlihawa said Altantuya typed her report into a computer at the station and read the contents to Salleh.

“I then registered the report in the computer system,” she said.

The document was marked as a court exhibit today before Judge Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera, who is hearing a civil suit filed by Altantuya’s family members.

Altantuya’s father Setev, his wife Altantsetseg Sanjaa and Altantuya’s son, Mungunshagai Bayarjargal, named Razak, the government as well as former police officers Sirul Azhar Umar and Azilah Hadri as defendants in the suit.

The family, which alleges conspiracy in Altantuya’s murder, is seeking RM100 million in damages, including dependency claims.

Nurwazlihawa said Salleh explained to her the contents of the report made by Altantuya.

The two-page report said Altantuya came to Kuala Lumpur to see Razak to get some money that was promised to her before she returned to Mongolia.

She said Razak threatened her life and accused her of blackmailing him through some “stupid letters”.

Altantuya, who was then 28, said some “guys” followed her and remained outside Hotel Malaya where she was staying.

She said Razak had connections in the government and could put her in jail. Altantuya added that Razak should be held responsible if anything were to happen to her.

Nurwazlihawa said she then contacted Zamilah Mamat, the investigating officer on duty for the day, who was in her room at an adjacent block.

“Zamilah spoke to Altantuya over the phone but I could not remember for how long,” she said.

Altantuya, who came alone to the station, left after making the report.

Cross-examined by Razak’s lawyer Kuan Chee Foo, Nurwazlihawa said the report was made with the intention that police would provide protection to Altantuya.

Zamilah, in her witness statement, said Altantuya repeatedly told her on the phone that she wanted to meet and speak to “Mr Razak”.

“I was also worried about the contents in the report. I was able to read it as it was immediately registered in the system,” Zamilah said, adding that she asked Altantuya to wait at the counter.

She said Altantuya told her she was going to meet Razak but would return later.

Zamilah said she tried contacting Altantuya through her mobile phone but there was no response, adding that she also contacted her superiors who asked her to continue locating Altantuya.

Cross-examined by Manjeet Singh Dhillon, another counsel for Razak, Zamilah said it was less than a five-minute walk from her office to the counter.

She dismissed Manjeet’s suggestion that she took the report lightly, as if it was a “Bollywood movie love story” between two people.

She said there were sexual elements in the report, and she did not send a patrol car to locate Altantuya at the hotel she was staying.

Further cross-examined by senior federal counsel Iznan Ishak, Zamilah said she only classified Altantuya’s report as criminal intimidation.

Altantuya was murdered between 10pm on Oct 19, 2006 and 11am the following day in the jungles of Puncak Alam. She was shot in the head before her body was blown up with explosives.

Razak, who was an aide to then deputy prime minister Najib Razak, was charged with abetting Azilah and Sirul, but he was later acquitted without his defence being called.

Sirul and Azilah, who were part of the police’s Unit Tindakan Khas, were convicted in 2009 by the High Court of killing Altantuya.

They succeeded in overturning their conviction at the Court of Appeal in 2013, but the Federal Court in 2015 restored their conviction and sentenced them to death. Sirul fled to Australia before the final verdict.

Neither Sirul, who is being held at an Australian detention centre, nor Azilah, who is on death row at Kajang Prison, has challenged the suit.

The hearing continues. – FMT