Death of 2 RMN Men: Nothing Will Be Hidden, Hisham Promises

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Minister gives assurance that those found guilty will face the full force of the law, while three Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) personnel remanded for seven days.

Zaman Huri Isa & Syamsi Suhaimi/NST

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein has promised that nothing will be hidden in the investigation into the death of two navy personnel at the Sungai Wangi Detention room near Sitiawan, Perak, last Friday.

Hishammuddin, who is also the Special Functions Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, said he had also directed the Royal Malaysian Navy (TLDM) to extend its cooperation to the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) in the investigation.

“Nothing will be hidden. That’s my promise. I am consistent that no one will escape legal action if found guilty. For now, let the police investigate,” he said on his official Twitter account yesterday.

Earlier, Perak Criminal Investigation head Datuk Gan Tian Kee said police believed the two RMN personnel – Nik Muhammad Baihaqy Nik Mat, 28, and Muhammad Lailatulman Mohd Sukri, 26 – had been tortured.

The police had classified the death as a murder case based on the post-mortem report from the Pathology Department of the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital, Ipoh, he said.

“The post-mortem conducted on both of them revealed that they were tortured, which resulted in injuries. From these findings, the investigations are classified under Section 302 of the Penal Code,” he said in a statement yesterday.


Gan said the post-mortem on Nik Muhammad Baihaqy, which was carried out from 3.30pm to 7pm on Sept 30 showed that his death was caused by bleeding on the lungs and blunt trauma on soft tissue.

“The post-mortem on Muhammad Lailal Tuiman, from 9pm to 11.30pm, revealed he died due to lung bleeding and blunt trauma on soft tissue,” he said.

He said following the post-mortem results, police arrested three men, aged between 29 and 44, at about 9.30pm to facilitate an investigation.


“The three suspects were on duty during the Friday (Sept 29) shift from 10am to 11pm.

Application for the remand order for the suspects will be made at the Seri Manjung magistrate’s court,” he said.

Gan said police also recorded the statements of eight detainees at the location and 11 guards on duty at the scene.

“In addition, the police seized CCTV sets, seven T batons, an SOP log book and several mobile phones of various brands,” he said.

In a statement on Sept 30, he said Nik Muhammad Baihaqy, 28, was held at the detention centre for 45 days, beginning last Wednesday for going absent without leave (AWOL) which contravened Section 58 of the Armed Forces Act 1972.

“The deceased was also suspected of having been involved in drug abuse and the investigation into the case was still ongoing, pending a chemistry report,” he said.

Gan said Muhammad Lailatuiman, 26, was picked up last Thursday for also going AWOL.

He said the two men, from different units, were undergoing “orientation” at the detention centre during fine weather, in accordance with the standard operating procedures.

Meanwhile, the RMN in a statement on Sept 30 said Nik Muhammad Baihaqy and Muhammad Lailatuiman died in their rooms while undergoing physical training exercises on Friday.


It said the duo complained of fatigue and were allowed to rest before they had bouts of vomiting and breathing difficulties.

Nik Muhammad Baihaqy and Muhammad Lailatuiman were pronounced dead at 3.15pm.