Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi has dismissed allegations that one of his children was calling the shots in the awarding of tenders by the ministry.
This followed intense speculation that the ministry was being investigated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) following allegations of power abuse.
Yesterday, Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he would leave it to the MACC to investigate allegations that a minister’s son was involved in the awarding of contracts without going through open tender.
Mohamaddin, who is the Warisan MP for Silam in Sabah, had earlier said that no Pakatan Harapan (PH) minister would be “stupid enough” to allow such a thing to happen.
Visibly upset, he urged people not to believe the rumours.
“There is no such thing, so don’t believe this kind of sh*t and rubbish,” Mohamaddin told a press conference at the 17th National Craft Institute Convention on Thursday.
He said the current crop of ministers were “transparent” with government tenders.
He added that such allegations were made by those who are irresponsible and had bad intentions.
On the MACC’s investigation into the issue, Mohamaddin said he welcome the probe.
“If there are such claims, then investigate it.
“But I would like to give my guarantee that the PH ministers today are not as bad as claimed. In fact, these stories are made up,” he said.
Sources had previously alleged that the minister’s son had a hand in managing the ministry’s activities, including on the awarding of tenders to companies.
Checks showed that the son was not listed as an employee with the ministry.
It was reported that the minister’s son allegedly oversaw the award of eight contracts that were not through open tender.