Nine cops linked to Nicky Liow to be freed on bail

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Nine police officers arrested over alleged links to fugitive businessman Nicky Liow are set to be freed on bail, just hours after another officer, Rahmat Fitri Abdullah withdrew his habeas corpus case because he had been freed two days ago.

The nine, who were arrested under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma), are expected to be freed on police bail tomorrow, a lawyer said.

Baljit Sidhu said he made a representation to the investigating officer to free his clients, with the rank of superintendent and assistant superintendent of police, now being held in Johor police headquarters.

“My two clients, including the officer who once investigated the murder of Altantuya Shaariibuu, will be released either tonight or tomorrow at the latest,” he told FMT.

Following the latest development, Baljit said he had decided against filing a challenge on their detention orders. He said the bail was offered pending the outcome of investigations.

“They could be charged for criminal offences if prosecutors feel they have sufficient evidence,” he added.

Baljit said two Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers who were also picked up last week for alleged ties with “Geng Nicky”, have also been set free earlier this week.

Earlier today, Rahmat, who was one of the two released, withdrew his legal challenge. After hearing the request to withdraw the challenge against the detention under Sosma, Kuala Lumpur High Court Judge Abdul Karim Abdul Rahman highlighted Rahmat’s argument that police had erred in making the arrests.

Rahmat had argued that a police officer’s power to detain a suspect under Sosma for 28 days had lapsed on July 31, 2017, as a resolution passed by Parliament was not gazetted by the home minister.

Lawyer T Harpal Singh, who is appearing for Supari Muhammad of the Melaka Tengah police, said his client would be set free last night. He said the investigating officer informed him about the matter yesterday afternoon.

“If that is the case, I will withdraw my habeas corpus application scheduled to be heard in the Kuala Lumpur High Court on May 19,” he said.

Baljit said on April 26, all the police officers were asked to be present at the Police Training Centre in Jalan Semarak at about 6pm.

“Two hours later, the officers were told they were under arrest and were later taken to Johor Bahru,” he said, adding that their family members were not informed about the arrest.

On April 27, Johor police chief Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said police had arrested 10 police personnel and two MACC officers. He said they were being investigated for fraud and money laundering.

On March 30, former inspector-general of police Abdul Hamid Bador said a total of 34 uniformed personnel and members of enforcement agencies were suspected of being in cahoots with the gang.

Recent reports said investigations showed that Liow, 33, was last seen at Setiawalk, Puchong, on March 20. He is believed to be hiding in the country and is on the run with several bags of cash.

Police have obtained an Interpol Red Notice to locate and arrest him and his Chinese assistant, Niu Zhi, 31.

On April 9, Liow and his brother were charged in absentia at the Petaling Jaya sessions court for alleged involvement in an organised crime group. – FMT