Nora Anne inquest: Teen’s death the result of a misadventure

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The Seremban Coroner’s Court today said the death of Irish-French teenager, Nora Anne Quoirin, who had gone missing from the Dusun Resort in Negri Sembilan in 2019, was the result of a misadventure.

Nora Anne’s injuries, said Coroner Maimoonah Aid, were probably self-inflicted and did not involve any third party.

The 15-year-old who suffered from learning difficulties had gone missing from the Dusun Resort in Negri Sembilan on Aug 3, 2019, a day after her family arrived for their holiday.

Lucie Blackman Trust

Her unclothed body was found near a creek in a ravine, located about 2.5 km from the resort where she and her family stayed, on Aug 13, 2019.

“It is more probable than not that she died by misadventure, i.e. that she had gone out of the Sora House (where the family stayed) on her own and subsequently got lost in the abandoned oil palm plantation,” Maimoonah said in her verdict.

The Coroner said it was not right for her to speculate or presume the involvement of a third party without any proven facts.

“That would be a breach of my duty,” she said, adding that the inquiry was hereby closed.

The ruling, which took around two hours to be delivered as the coroner went through the testimonies of witnesses, was streamed live online.

It was broadcast live online through the official portal of the Malaysian Judiciary and the official YouTube and Facebook social media, “The Malaysian Judiciary” and was conducted in English and Bahasa Malaysia.

It was earlier reported that today was set for the decision in the inquest on Nora Anne’s death.

A total of 48 witnesses, including the teenager’s parents, Meabh Jaseprine Quoirin and Sebastien Quoirin, testified during the inquest proceeding which began on Aug 24.

The last day of the inquest was on Dec 10.

A preliminary post-mortem report stated that the death of the disabled teenager had no criminal element, stating that she was dead from gastrointestinal bleeding due to prolonged hunger and stress.

An autopsy on her remains revealed that she had died from internal bleeding, probably caused by prolonged hunger and stress.

She had also suffered intestinal damage and died two or three days before her body was found.

However, her family believed there was a criminal element to her disappearance as she was a special needs child and they claimed she had never before left them voluntarily.

The inquest coordinating team was led by Ahmad Sazali Omar while the family was represented by a team led by S Sakthyvell.

Datuk Gurdial Singh and Alliff Benjamin Omar kept a watching brief for the owners of the resort.