Oath Commissioner Recalls He Was Shocked by Allegation Against Anwar

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Commissioner of oath R Mohanna was shocked to read the allegation contained in Muhammad Yusoff Rawther’s statutory declaration (SD) against PKR president Anwar Ibrahim.

Speaking to Malaysiakini, Mohanna, who is from the law firm Mohanna & Co, said Yusoff had contacted him on Nov 18 to fix an appointment to file the SD at his office in Selayang.

“I can confirm that he came here and signed the SD at about 4pm on Nov 19. A day prior to that, he contacted me to make an appointment.

“When he came here, he had prepared the content for the SD. When I read the content, I asked him if it (the allegation) is true and he replied ‘yes’. He said he would go to the police station (to lodge a report).

“I was shocked (reading the content). After he signed, he immediately left,” he added.

Responding to a question, Mohanna said he did not know Yusoff prior to the filing of the SD and the pair met for the first time on Nov 19.

“I don’t know him. It’s our job to entertain whoever comes to us. We cannot decline or else they can file a complaint,” he added.

Mohanna also denied the claim that his company’s licence had expired and therefore rendered the SD invalid.

“My licence expires in 2021,” he said.

A day before the PKR national congress on Dec 6, Yusoff had accusedAnwar of sexual misconduct and revealed that he had prepared a SD on the matter.

Shaari Chemat/The Star

The former research officer for Anwar alleged that the incident took place on the fourth day of the Port Dickson by-election campaign in October last year.

Anwar, who is the Port Dickson MP, has denied the allegation and instructed his lawyers to issue a notice of demand to Yusoff to retract his allegation, failing which, he would sue the latter.

Last Saturday, Yusoff lodged a report with the Sentul district police headquarters urging for an investigation into his SD.

Yesterday, the police quizzed him for almost eight hours at the Bukit Aman federal police headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.

The police had summoned him again this afternoon. A statement is also being recorded from another witness, whose identity has not been confirmed. – Malaysiakini