PKR Youth Santubong chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz will be slapped with a show-cause letter over his involvement in the sex video controversy.
Party president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said the party disciplinary board has forwarded four recommendations which have been endorsed by the political bureau, including to issue the show-cause letter.
“The decision was made based on consensus,” he said at a press conference at the party headquarters on Wednesday (June 17) night.
PKR disciplinary board chief Datuk Ahmad Kassim said that the party disciplinary board had convened a meeting on Sunday (June 16) over the issue.
” A show-cause letter will be given to Haziq, as he has damaged the good name of the party by issuing the general statement and had further destroyed and damaged the reputation of the party,” said Ahmad.
Ahmad said the show-cause will be sent out tomorrow, and Haziq will be given 14 days to respond to the letter.
He added that the party’s disciplinary board has also taken note of the denial issued by the PKR deputy president and will review any further explanation.
“We will also wait for the investigation on the case by the police and relevant bodies,” he said.
He also warned PKR members not to make any baseless allegations about the party’s leadership.
Earlier, PKR vice president Zuraida Kamaruddin had said that she will propose that Haziq – the senior private secretary to deputy Primary Industries minister Datuk Seri Shamsul Iskandar Md Akin – be sacked from the party.
Zuraida, who is the housing and local government minister, also chided her own party for not taking immediate action against Haziq, saying it was unwise not to sack him.
Asked whether Zuraida is satisfied with today’s decisions by the disciplinary board, Anwar said: “She was in the meeting and there was a consensus.
“The decision stands as recommended or as decided by the disciplinary committee or board.”
He said today’s decision is supported and endorsed by all, including the heads of the youth and women’s wings and leaders from Sabah and Sarawak.
Anwar previously said he did not want to make a hasty decision by punishing Haziq by removing him from the party until he was proven guilty.
He today noted that there were varying views on the matter. But he said all must and have already abided by what the disciplinary board today decided.
He said Azmin did not show up for today’s meeting.
Azmin also did not attend PKR’s last political bureau meeting when the gay sex video scandal was first discussed last Wednesday, a day after the first series of videos made the rounds.
Anwar today also denied that this controversy has given rise to discontent within PKR and will affect his succession as the next prime minister.
He said this was just the “interpretation” of some.
Asked about Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s take on the matter, Anwar said reporters need to ask him directly.
On Haziq’s recent remarks that he did what he did because he was afraid for his life and did not want to face the same consequences as Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu, who was found murdered, Anwar said this came as a surprise to PKR.
“But it’s a very serious allegation or insinuation.
“I think I leave it to the police to investigate and for him (Haziq) to clarify his statement,” he said.
He also denied that the controversy was similar to the sodomy allegations he faced before, which saw the Port Dickson MP jailed.
“Well, of course, the scenario is different, the issue is different.”