The prosecution is expected to call a protected witness to testify in former Malaysian External Intelligence Organisation (MEIO) director-general Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid’s criminal breach of trust (CBT) trial.
Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Iskandar Ahmad also told the court that the prosecution plans to call 20 witnesses in the trial, which is scheduled to commence in October this year.
“We had served all documents to the defence team in line with Section 51 of the Rules of Court,” he said during a case management before judicial commissioner Datuk Ahmad Shahrir Mohd Salleh, today.
Meanwhile, Hasanah’s counsel, Hamdan Hamzah, concurred that he had received the documents.
On Oct 25 last year, Hasanah, who was the director-general of the Research Division of the Prime Minister’s Department, was alleged to have committed CBT by misappropriating US$12.1 million (RM50.4 million) in funds belonging to the government.
Hasanah was alleged to have done so between April 30 and May 9 at her office in the Prime Minister’s Department Complex in Putrajaya.
The charge, under Section 409 of the Penal Code, carries a maximum jail term of 20 years and whipping and fine, upon conviction.
She was released on RM500,000 bail. – NST