Former inspector-general of police Abdul Hamid Bador will not be contesting in the coming general election as he is not ready, Gerakan Tanah Air (GTA) pro tem chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today.
“He is not running because he is not ready yet,” Dr Mahathir told reporters after announcing GTA’s candidates for the November 19 polls today.
It was previously reported that Hamid had been shortlisted to be a GTA candidate for the Rembau parliamentary seat in Negri Sembilan.
Previously, Pejuang information chief Ulya Aqamah Husamudin told The Malaysian Insight that Hamid was shortlisted as a potential candidate to go up against Umno deputy president Mohamad Hasan in Rembau.
“It is yet to be finalised, but he is a potential,” said Ulya Aqamah.
Mohamad, a former menteri besar of the state, is Umno/Barisan Nasional’s candidate for Rembau, replacing Khairy Jamaluddin, who was the MP since 2008.
Hamid spent most of his career as a special branch officer, and was director before he was promoted to top cop by Dr Mahathir early in the short-lived Pakatan Harapan administration.
Dr Mahathir today announced the 121 candidates who will be contesting under the Pejuang banner in the polls. – TMI