Four Teenagers and Pregnant Woman Among Six Charged with Sathiwi’s Murder

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Six people were charged with the murder of a hotel worker at the George Town magistrate court today. 

  • Youngest suspect a 15-year-old school dropout
  • Woman with previous criminal records and wanted for burglary
  • Victim assaulted, died of severe head injuries

Six people were jointly charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murdering Sathiwill between 1am and 1pm on Jun 27. The charge was read together with Section 34 of the same Act.

 Among the six were four boys aged between 15 and 17 years old. The other two charged were E Vinoth, 25, and A Thulasi, 30, who is pregnant.

The 15-year-old is a school dropout while the woman is unemployed.

Police say the woman has previous criminal records, including for murder and voluntarily causing hurt. She has also been on the police wanted list for break-in and theft cases.

It was said that she tested positive for methamphe­tamine when she was arrested.

If found guilty, all the accused face a mandatory death sentence.

The accused were not represented and bail was not allowed.

The magistrate fixed Oct 3 for mention of the case, and submission of medical report and other relevant documents.

A total of 10 suspects, including a 19-year-old girl, were rounded up in connection with the case.

The six suspects, who were charged today, allegedly murdered hotel employee M Sathiwill, 20, on the 16th floor of the Rifle Range flats in Penang.

His body was found in the room which he had rented with his brother one month ago in a unit of the flats.

Both the hands and feet of the victim were bound with nylon string. The body, wrapped in a bed sheet, was found lying face down at 9.30am on Jun 28.

Several residents said the victim had been assaulted by a group of about five attackers along the corridor outside the unit. He was then dragged into his room at about 2am on Jun 27, they told police.

The accused were believed to have beaten him the victim for allegedly stealing a gold chain from one of the suspects.

Police said the Sathiwill was also injured with a blunt object as his face was swollen.

Death was due to severe injuries on his head.

The courtroom was packed with family members of the accused and the victim who had been waiting at the court complex since early in the morning.

An elderly woman, believed to be the grandmother of the deceased, was seen sobbing quietly when the charge was read.

The media had earlier reported that the grandmother of Sathiwill claimed that she received a threatening call from an unknown person just 24 hours before he was found dead.

Identified only as Davi, the 60-year-old said the caller had asked whether she would be worried if her grandson died.

“The person put down the phone after telling me this.

“I rang Sathiwill after that and he told me he was safe. I never thought he would be gone the following day,” said Davi.It was also reported that Sathiwill’s mother, known only as Gaydiri, 39, said she always reminded her son not to mix with the wrong people but he ignored her advice.