The jailing of rogue Spanish arbitrator Dr Gonzalo Stampa proves that the claims of the so-called Sulu Sultanate on Sabah had no basis, says Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor.
The Sabah Chief Minister thanked Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reform) Datuk Seri Azalina Othman and the federal government, saying this decision proved what Sabah was saying all this while.
“We thank Azalina and the government because it is proven at last that there is no basis to the Sulu claim,” he said to reporters after an event at Kota Kinabalu on Tuesday (Jan 9).
“There are elements of profit-making and other forms of benefit, including by the arbitrator Stampa himself,” he said.
Earlier, it was reported that Stampa had been sentenced to six months’ jail for contempt of court.
Stampa, who controversially ordered Malaysia to pay US$14.92bil to the self-proclaimed heirs of the so-called Sulu Sultanate, will also be banned from practice for a year.
“Congratulations to all Malaysians!
“Rogue arbitrator Gonzalo Stampa has been found guilty of contempt of court and has been sentenced by the Spanish courts to six months in prison, together with a ban from practising as an arbitrator for a year.
“The Madani government’s efforts in addressing and putting a stop to the Sulu fraud have not been in vain.
“We persist in the fight for justice and will continue our efforts to annul the final award,” said Azalina.