Jamal Drops Plan to Call Top Cops in Defamation Suit

985
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The Sungei Besar UMNO Division chief, who on Tuesday announced he will not contest in GE14, will not be calling two ex-IGPs to give evidence in his favour.

Red Shirts leader Jamal Yunos, who faces a defamation suit by former Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah, has abandoned plans to call two former top cops to give evidence in his favour.

Jamal’s lawyer Mohamad Fauzi Abd Samad informed High Court judge Zaki Abdul Wahab that his client was withdrawing an application to call retired IGPs Hanif Omar and Abdul Rahim Noor.

Maria’s lawyer Latheefa Koya confirmed the latest development following a case management before the judge today.

“They are withdrawing the application and no longer wish to call these two witnesses.

“The matter is now fixed for continuation of trial on May 24,” she told reporters.

Jamal is expected to take the stand, with Johor PKR chief Hassan Karim and a police officer also expected to testify before the defence closes its case.

Maria is suing Jamal for allegedly slandering her and Bersih during a press conference outside the Putra World Trade Centre on Sept 28, 2016.

She also claimed that on Oct 4 that year, Jamal had uttered slanderous words against Bersih during a media conference at the Bukit Aman police headquarters compound.

In her statement of claim filed on Oct 7, Maria said she had been brought into public scandal and had her reputation and good name tarnished.

She is seeking general and aggravated damages, as well as an injunction to stop Jamal from uttering or publishing similar words, either verbally, in print or online.

Jamal is relying on justification and fair comment as defence to the lawsuit. – FMT