Johor Schoolboy in Abuse Case Dies

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

News just broke that 11-year-old Mohamad Thaqif Amin Mohd Gaddafi whose legs were amputated following alleged physical abuse by an assistant warden at a religious school in Kota Tinggi has passed away.

  • Scheduled surgery to amputate right arm had been cancelled as boy’s heart rate and condition were not stable
  • Boy kept diary of abuse
  • Plaintive cry in diary entry: “I cannot stand it anymore”
  • Prayed and wished for transfer to another school

The Star reported that his father, Mohd Gaddafi Mat Karim, 43, confirmed that his son passed away at around 2:05 pm at Hospital Sultan Ismail while they were reciting prayers for his recovery.

Thaqif was scheduled to have his right arm amputated this morning but the procedure had to be cancelled as the boy’s heart rate and condition were not stable. The decision to amputate the boy’s right arm came after there was no improvement to the condition of the limb.

The 29-year-old assistant warden, an ex-convict, reportedly whipped the boy and several other pupils with a water hose to punish them.

Free Malaysia Today had reported that the young boy’s repeated abuse had been recorded in his diary. He had written about how the beatings started last month, just two months after his mother enrolled him in the privately-run religious boarding school.

According to the news portal, Thaqif’s aunt, Dzuraidah Ahmad, said her nephew had previously complained to his mother about the beatings.

“My nephew said that sometimes, he and his friends would even volunteer to get beaten first as they wanted to go to bed early since they had to wake up at 3:00 am for prayers.

“He wrote about how he was punched for no reason and could no longer stand the abuse, and wanted to transfer to a different school,” Dzuraidah said.

One of the postings in the diary also alleged the assistant warden had punched him in the buttocks.

“Dear Allah, please open my parents’ hearts to allow me to transfer to another school because I cannot stand it anymore. Please, Allah, make my wishes come true,” The Star quoted an entry by Thaqif in his diary, as related by his aunt.

Police revealed that the assistant warden had a previous conviction for theft and served 30 months in jail. He was said to have been employed at the school since 2016.