The Health Ministry will review if there is a need to extend the Movement Control Order (MCO 2.0) or tighten the existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in accordance to the Covid-19 developments in six states.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said as per usual practice, the ministry would give its views after conducting studies on the developing situation before the end of the two-week MCO.
The states under the MCO are Penang, Selangor, Melaka, Johor, Sabah and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya.
“We will discuss if it would be appropriate to continue with the MCO or otherwise. The same goes to the SOP (if more restrictions are to be introduced).
“If Covid-19 cases drop, maybe they (ministry) will recommend that the MCO be turned into a Conditional Movement Control Order instead.
“All suggestions will be evaluated before the end of the two weeks. So, let’s wait,” he said today.
The Senior Defence Minister said this when asked if the ministry would propose that the SOP in the six states be made as strict as the first MCO enforced on March 18 last year.
This was because, after a week of the MCO, the number of Covid-19 cases was still on the rise. – NST