Muhyiddin Presents Chronology of Temple Riots in Parliament

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin today made a ministerial statement to the Dewan Rakyat, shedding light on the sequence of events at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple on Monday and Tuesday.


On the first day, the developer attempted to enforce the temple’s relocation by hiring men to secure the building, resulting in clashes and subsequent rioting.

The second round of rioting took place on Tuesday, where a Fire and Rescue Department personnel was allegedly attacked and seriously injured.

Muhyiddin also provided details on the investigations, including the arrests to date as well as weapons seized from the incidences.

The following is the chronology provided by the minister.

Nov 26

2.40am – Subang Jaya district police headquarters receive complaints of disturbances at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple. All units ordered to the site.

2.50am – Four police multi-purpose vehicle arrive at the temple but were prevented from entering. A parked tanker was blocking entry into the temple. One of the police vehicle’s rear windscreen was smashed.

3.30am – Subang Jaya district police chief calls for back up from the Federal Reserve unit and Serdang district police headquarters.

4am – 99 officers from Serdang district police headquarters arrive at the scene.

While police backup was on the way, fights between hired men and devotees in the temple had broken out. Some of the hired men then fled the scene. The devotees then torched what they believed were the hired men’s vehicles.

4.38am – The Fire and Rescue Department receives a call about the fire from the torching and arrives 25 minutes later.

5.30am – The Federal Reserve Unit comprising two officers and 201 personnel arrives. The situation was brought under control. Three hired men, three devotees and a police personnel were injured.

Nov 27

Some 10,000 supporters gathered around the temple. Some within the group started rioting and torched vehicles.

Fire and Rescue Department personnel tried to put out the fire but were attacked. One personnel, Mohammad Adib Mohammad Kassim, was beaten up.

Some rioters also attacked MCT Tower, where One City Development Sdn Bhd’s office was located.

Hari Anggara

Investigation progress

Following the incident, Muhyiddin said concurrent investigations are ongoing under ‘Ops Seafield’.

To date, police have arrested 30 individuals comprising 24 Malays, five Indians and one Chinese. Police have also recorded statements from 34 people.

Nantha Kumar/Malaysiakini


Noting that men were hired to secure the temple, Muhyiddin said police have also identified a number of individuals who were responsible and they will be summoned for questioning.

Among the items seized were also 21 torched cars and six torched motorcycles, a knife and two machetes as well as seven pairs of shoes and three vests.

Shafwan Zaidon

He said the incident was being investigated under Section 435, Section 148, Section 324, Section 447, Section 427 and Section 124G under the Penal Code as well as Section 6(1) of the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act 1958.

Section 435 under the Penal Code concerns mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to cause damage.

Section 148 is in regards to the possession of weapons at a riot and Section 324 concerns voluntarily causing hurt by the use of dangerous weapons.

Section 447 of the Penal Code covers criminal trespass, Section 124G is on the distribution of material containing incitement of violence while Section 6(1) of the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act 1958 is on the use of corrosive or explosive substances or weapons.

Muhyiddin added that with regard to the attack on Adib, the matter is being investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder.


“The police is conducting a professional investigation by fully utilising forensic and scientific methods.

“To this end, a special team from the Bukit Aman forensics lab has been stationed at the Selangor police headquarters to facilitate investigations.

“The police also welcomes cooperation from the public by channelling information to help with the investigation,” he said.

He added that the police will also investigate viral news on the incident to verify their authenticity. – Malaysiakini