NGO also asked the King to appoint Najib as interim prime minister.
Former prime minister Najib Razak, who is currently facing multiple charges in court, has again insisted on standing trial.
This came after an NGO submitted a memorandum to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong asking that he receive a royal pardon for all the cases he is facing.
In a Facebook post, he thanked the NGO for their concern but denied having had any prior contact with them.
“I have never been in contact with them and was never told of their petition to the Palace this morning,” he said.
He added that going through a fair and transparent legal process was the only way to clear his name permanently.
“I do not want my cases to be dismissed just like that, and I do not want any political interference.
“I am very confident I am not guilty. Why do I need to be pardoned if I am not guilty?”
Persatuan Sahabat Ulul Amri Malaysia submitted a memorandum to the King asking for a royal pardon on Najib’s behalf this morning. They had also asked the King to appoint him as interim prime minister.
Its chairman, Syed Muhammad Imran Syed Abdul Aziz said Najib had proven himself fit to run the country.
On Feb 3, 2019, Najib claimed trial to three charges of money laundering where he allegedly received RM27 million, suspected to be proceeds from unlawful activities.
Previously, Najib was convicted in the first 1MDB trial, involving its subsidiary, SRC International. – FMT