‘Once Broken, Considered Sold’ Shock for Tourist

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

A Chinese tourist fainted in shock after accidentally breaking a US$44,000 jade bracelet.


A woman, whose identity was not disclosed, was trying on a bracelet in a shop in the city of Ruili, a major jade trade centre in Yunnan. When she took it off, it slipped from her hands and broke in two on the tiled floor, according to a report by online news site Chinanews.com.

After being told the bracelet cost US$44,110, she had a panic attack, made a call to her friends, and told shop staff that she felt dizzy.

As people nearby tried to calm her down, her lips turned pale and she broke out in a cold sweat before suddenly losing consciousness.

Pictures of her falling into the arms of bystanders have been circulating widely online.

“She fainted because of the shock, but fortunately she is fine after having emergency treatment in hospital” Lin Wei, one of the shop’s owners, was quoted as saying.

The shop owners did not report the incident to the police and said they were negotiating appropriate compensation with the woman based on her financial situation.

The broken bracelet was valued at 180,000 yuan (US$26,550) by a third-party association under government supervision. Reportedly, the woman’s family agreed to pay this amount.

Jade has a special significance in Chinese culture and is seen as representing purity and having the ability to ward off evil and even to bring long life.