Pasar Besar Jalan Othman (popularly known as ‘Old Town market’) and surrounding areas in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, have been placed under an Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO).
Authorities, including Armed Forces personnel, were observed putting up barbed wire fences to restrict entry into several roads leading to the market as well as nearby commercial premises in the wee hours of the morning.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the EMCO will be implemented in three zones and encompass 2,900 residents and business premises.
“The EMCO will be enforced from today until May 23.
“The Health Ministry has confirmed 26 positive Covid-19 cases that have the potential to spread the infection in the area,” he said in a statement today.
The areas involved are:
Jalan Penchala, Jalan 4/33, Jalan 4/37, Jalan 4/39, Jalan 4/41, Jalan 4/44, Jalan Terus 4/42, Jalan 4/43, Jalan 4/46, Jalan Othman 4/4D
Jalan 2/29, Jalan 2/29A, Jalan 2/27, Jalan 2/32, Jalan 2/25, Jalan 2/26, Jalan 2/34, Jalan 2/34A, Jalan 2/23, Jalan Dispensary 2/38, Jalan Pasar 1/21
Jalan Selangor, Lorong 3/57D, Lorong 3/57C, Jalan RIDA 3/56, Jalan Sentosa 3/57
Ismail Sabri, who is also Defence Minister, said all residents are not allowed to leave the affected areas throughout the EMCO period.
He also said non-residents and visitors are forbidden from entering the zones.
“All business activities will be halted. A medical base will be set up in the area.
“All entrances and exits will be closed. To ensure compliance, the police, the Armed Forces, Civil Defence Force, Petaling Jaya City Council, Social Welfare Department and the People’s Volunteer Corps will be guarding the entire area.”
Ismail Sabri said all residents should remain calm and give their full cooperation to Health Ministry workers and adhere to all instructions from the authorities.
“Residents who need help or have any questions can contact the Petaling Jaya Movement Control Order Control Room at 016-980 9389 or the Petaling Jaya police headquarters at 03-7966 2222.”
The wet market was shut down on April 27 after four people who worked or had visited there tested positive for Covid-19.
Those who had been to the market between April 5 and 18 had been advised to undergo screening.