Samirah Muzaffar and the two teenagers who were freed in Nazrin Hassan’s murder case have filed an appeal to challenge the finding of facts in the former Cradle Fund CEO’s death.
In their notice of appeal, Samirah and the boys questioned the High Court’s findings that the fire which broke out in Nazrin’s room on June 14, 2018 was “done deliberately”, as was Nazrin’s head injury.
Their lawyer, Rahmat Mohamed Hazlan, confirmed that an appeal to challenge the findings was filed today.
Last week, Attorney-General Idrus Harun confirmed that the prosecution had lodged an appeal against the acquittal of Samirah and the boys at the end of the prosecution’s case.
On June 21, High Court judge Ab Karim Ab Rahman ruled that the prosecution had failed to prove a prima facie case against them.
The judge held that there was no direct evidence that Samirah and the boys committed the offence.
Samirah, 47, the two teenagers, now aged 19 and 16, and Indonesian maid Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is at large, had been charged with murdering Nazrin at their home in Mutiara Damansara.
Karim, in his oral judgment, said the court accepted the testimonies of Kuala Lumpur fire and rescue department director Edwin Galan Teruki and investigating officer Halim Zulkefeli, in which they concluded that the fire was deliberately lit.
He also pointed to senior pathologist Dr Siew Sheue Feng’s testimony that she did not find any traces of soot in Nazrin’s lungs.
On Nazrin’s head injury, Karim said the court accepted Dr Prashant Samberkar’s evidence that Nazrin’s cause of death was due to “multiple blunt (force) impact to the head”.
Prashant was the second pathologist to conduct a post-mortem on Nazrin’s remains. – FMT