Seven-Year-Old Victim, 12-Year Old Killer

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Police say suspect claims he hit and kicked the Primary One victim for constantly teasing him and making fun of his father’s name.

Representational image

A Primary One schoolboy of a boarding school in Kapit, believed to have been severely beaten by his Year Six senior last Tuesday, died at the Sibu Hospital yesterday.

An assistant administrator, who made a surprise check at the school at about 5.30am on Tuesday, found Jackson Nuing Awe unconscious.

School authorities sent the boy to Nanga Merit Health Clinic, then to Kapit Hospital before he was admitted to Sibu Hospital.

His body and hands were swollen and he slipped into a coma. He died at 3.30pm on Thursday.

It was alleged that the assault took place in a room at the school on Monday night after the older pupil was angry with the victim’s mocking.

The older boy was said to have tied the victim’s hands before punching and kicking him all over the body with his hands and legs. He also used a blanket to gag the victim’s mouth while attacking him.

His 35-year old father, a farmer, lodged a police report on Tuesday after being informed by a teacher at the school.

Following the death of the victim, the 12-year-old suspect was picked up for investigation and released on bail to allow him to sit for his UPSR exam next month.

“He (the victim) sustained severe head injury and bruises,” Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Amer Awal said, adding that the case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

According to police, the suspect claimed he hit the victim for constantly teasing him and making fun of his father’s name.

Police are now setting up a task force that will be headed by the Kapit district police chief DSP Freddy Bian to investigate the matter.

“We will leave no stone unturned. I view this incident very seriously. We will be recording the statement of the school headmaster, teachers and hostel warden to find out how this sort of thing could have happened.

“I do not believe no one knew what was going on because I feel it must have been happening for some time prior to the incident taking place,” Amer was quoted as saying by The Borneo Post.

He added that a post-mortem will be carried out to determine the exact cause.