Tun Faisal Ismail Aziz has warned that Perikatan Nasional might organise another protest if its demands are ignored, including for Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to be charged again.
The Bersatu leader was speaking to reporters outside the Dang Wangi district police headquarters in Kuala Lumpur. He was among those quizzed over the Sept 16 gathering.
“We have three demands,” he said.
“Charge (Zahid), second is to free the MACC and Attorney-General’s Chambers from the control of the executive, and third, we want clear justice for all. There should not be one standard for the people and another for government leaders.
Furthermore, Tun Faisal said there are other issues concerning the Pakatan Harapan-BN coalition government such as the price of goods, cost of living, and others.
“The people should rise up and question. But for now, we feel that everyone believes what has happened to Zahid should not have happened. So, we ask the government to take immediate action, failing which, it will be obvious that our laws have been trivialised,” he added.
Apart from the gathering, Tun Faisal said the police also questioned him on the report he lodged on the same day regarding Zahid being granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA).
“I don’t know what the others are being investigated for. But there were three issues for me, including the police report and the gathering.
“As far as I am concerned, this is just a routine procedure. Although, in my view, there is no legal basis to investigate because as Malaysians, we have the right to gather and express our position,” he added.
Last Saturday, Tun Faisal said his police report was related to the “questionable circumstances” surrounding Zahid’s case.
Yesterday, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said 25 people would be questioned over the gathering, which the authorities claimed did not comply with the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA) 2012.
However, Lawyers for Liberty (LFL) claimed that the probe was unlawful because the particular section under the PAA had been struck down by the courts in 2014.
On Sept 4, Zahid was given a DNAA after the prosecution withdrew the 47 charges related to millions of ringgit from Yayasan Akalbudi
One of the reasons cited is that the deputy prime minister could have been a victim of selective prosecution. – Malaysiakini