Many questions that cannot wait until next Monday (Aug 2).
- What happens to CACs now?
- Are RM10k compound notices issued after July 21 still valid?
- Are Miti letters still needed?
Teo Nie Ching (PH-Kulai) has questioned what will happen to the 65 private clinics operating as Covid-19 assessment centres (CACs) in Selangor, now that the emergency ordinances have been revoked.
In a press conference at Parliament today, Teo said the government must immediately clarify the matter.
“One of the Emergency Ordinances was about the government’s power to appoint clinics and private medical facilities to become CACs.
Teo said the government should not wait until Monday to answer all questions raised in the Dewan Rakyat.
Yesterday, law minister Takiyuddin Hassan had revealed that the emergency ordinances had been revoked since July 21, as the government had decided to cancel them under Article 153 of the Federal Constitution.
Takiyuddin also said the annulment of the emergency ordinances meant that they are no longer relevant.
Opposition MPs have also questioned if the RM10,000 compound notice issued for various SOP violations after July 21 remain valid following the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances.
RSN Rayer (PH-Jelutong) said he has spoken to lawyers in Penang and was told that state legal advisors are still going ahead with all compounds across the country.
He added that deputy public prosecutors were not informed about the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances.
Fahmi Fadzil (PH-Lembah Pantai) also questioned Takiyuddin whether the revocation of an Emergency Ordinances can be backdated.
“The people are wondering if they have an RM10,000 compound issued from July 21 onwards, are they required to attend court? Should they plead guilty?
“Most of these compounds cost more than RM1,000. If we wait until Monday, what will happen? That is why we cannot wait till Monday,” said Fahmi, adding that based on news reports, more than 2,200 compounds were issued between July 21 and 25.
DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng today said the government’s “harried and hurried” manner in revoking the emergency ordinances was a sign of a failed state, calling for those who had paid fines after July 21 to be refunded.
He said law minister Takiyuddin Hassan did not provide “certainty, clarity and consistency” in his announcement in Parliament yesterday, and the revocation had not been gazetted.
Opposition MPs and lawyers said such revocation could only be approved by the King or through a vote in both houses of Parliament.
Lim said reluctance to clear the air raised doubts if the emergency ordinances still had a legal basis, including the validity of the 2,200 compound notices issued between July 21 and 25.
“Until this legal confusion is resolved, the government should instruct the authorities to revert to the previous maximum compounds of RM1,000 for individuals or RM10,000 for corporate bodies, as well as refund those who paid above that amount for compounds issued after July 21,” he added in a statement.
Meanwhile, Lim Lip Eng (PH-Kepong) asked if Miti travel and business letters still needed if the Emergency Ordinances have been revoked.
“The people are very confused. Can they travel across borders? Do they need the Miti letter to conduct their businesses? Can shopping malls open? There are so many questions, and this is why we cannot wait until next Monday (Aug 2),” Lim said.