A woman who was allegedly raped by two men linked to Gombak Setia assemblyperson Hilman Idham has vowed to sue the police for inaction.
Her lawyer Asheeq Ali Sethi Alivi said the woman has yet to receive any response from the police despite having lodged her report nine months ago.
Asheeq said he had sought an explanation from the police on June 10 through email but there was no response. A follow-up correspondence was handed to the Kuala Lumpur police headquarters today.
He said legal action will commence if the police fail to respond within seven days. Asheeq said his client has a right to know how investigations are developing.
“It has been too long, and we can no longer wait,” Asheeq told a press conference today.
In contrast, said Asheeq, the police acted swiftly in the cases involving Tronoh assemblyperson Paul Yong and Permatang Pasir assemblyperson Muhammad Faiz Fadzil, who were both separately standing trial for sexual misconduct.
In an immediate response, Kuala Lumpur police chief Azmi Abu Kassim told Malaysiakini that investigations will be completed “soon”. Azmi provided similar comments when contacted on May 24.
The woman had accused Hilman of “setting up” her rape. According to her police report, she claimed that she, along with Hilman, two female friends and the alleged rapist, were on a night out on Dec 4 last year to celebrate her birthday.
The alleged rape took place later that night involving two men.
She has lodged two police reports and had her statements recorded three times.
At the time, Hilman did not respond to multiple requests for comments. – Malaysiakini