Zayn Rayyan possibly struggled with murderer

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

The autopsy on six-year-old Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin revealed that he possibly struggled with his murderer.

Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the post-mortem revealed the victim suffered injuries consistent with strangulation (compression to the neck) as well as other injuries believed to be defensive wounds.

“To protect the dignity of the deceased and family that’s all I can say for now.


“What we know for certain based on the post-mortem is that the cause of death is not drowning but strangulation,” he told reporters at the Petaling Jaya police headquarters on Thursday (Dec 7).

He said the post-mortem revealed that the victim probably died within 48 hours from when the body was found.

“Now our investigation will backtrack as much as possible for us to get as close to the incident as possible.

“Based on our investigations and checks with the people in the area the place where the body was found is not frequented by many as it is not a daily passageway.

“For someone to go there, we think the suspect was previously exposed to the area,” he said adding that they did not rule out the possibility that the suspect is from the area.

He said police believe the victim was killed somewhere else before the body was left at the scene where it was recovered.

Petaling Jaya police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohamad Fakhrudin Abdul Hamid said efforts to track down the suspect have been ongoing since the body’s discovery at 10pm on Wednesday night.

“We will be calling in all witnesses in the case including the parents, neighbours as well as those who found the body.


“We will also be revisiting the site for possible new clues,” he said when met at the Seksyen 9 Muslim cemetery last night, where Zayn was laid to rest.

The death had initially been thought to be an unfortunate accident.

Grief turned into shock and despair when word got out that foul play was involved and Zayn had been murdered.

The boy’s mother, Ismanira Abdul Manaf, 28, had been distraught even before news of the murder broke.


“I still can’t accept this. I can’t sleep tonight. Even now I feel that he is still with me because I couldn’t imagine it ending like this,” she said before crying.

Her husband, Zaim Ikhwan Zahari, also 28, had asked police to investigate the matter thoroughly, adding that his family also extended their appreciation to all who assisted in the search.

When it was revealed that it was a murder investigation, the parents were too shocked for words.

Damansara MP Gobind Singh Deo, who visited the family in the afternoon, said his office was willing to offer any assistance to the family.

“With respect to funeral arrangements, I have told the family that if there is any cost involved, we will assist. What has happened is tragic,” he said.

The body was released to the family at around 5.55pm yesterday and a hearse made its way to the Kota Damansara burial site. Family members refused to comment and the funeral concluded at 7pm.

On Wednesday night, some 100 police personnel and residents combed over 18 blocks consisting of 2,484 housing units at Idaman Apartments to search for the missing boy.

Ismanira appealed for help when Zayn Rayyan, one of her two children, had gone missing after she had picked him up from school. Zayn Rayyan was last seen near Block R of Idaman Apartments along PJU 10/1 at around noon on Tuesday.

The police will re-record the statements of Zayn’s parents.

“In addition, we have also established a special ‘task force’ to focus on assisting this case’s investigation,” Selangor police chief Datuk Hussein Omar Khan.

Anyone with any information on the case is urged to contact the Petaling Jaya police headquarters at 03-7966 2222.

Earlier reports:

Dec 7, Police: Zayd Rayyan was murdered

Dec 7, Zayn Rayyan’s family await results of autopsy