Peter Anthony: It’s Political

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

State Infrastructure Development Minister Datuk Peter Anthony has described his seven-hour interrogation by the graft-busters today as politically motivated.

Parti Warisan Sabah (Warisan) vice-president said he has nothing to hide and would face the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

“When there’s a complaint from the public regarding several matters, we are called in to give statements which is normal.

“Today’s (investigation) involves one of the state government projects, which followed procedures. There is no problem and we completed the statement today.

“So, it’s up to MACC to take further action. They have been good and professional,” he told reporters when met at the Sabah MACC headquarters here today.

Asked whether the investigation was about road maintenance, Anthony said yes.

Pressed further if it was connected to the RM1.5 billion road concession deal, he explained the project was given to an old concession during the BN state government.

“We just re-coordinated it, not a new project. We re-coordinated because the appointed contractor was not performing. So, we refreshed it for improvement,” he explained.

Asked whether the federal agency would be calling other Warisan ministers, he said:

“I think so. We are not with the federal government and that’s why they can do anything, but as Sabahans, we are strongly behind our Chief Minister’s (Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal) leadership.


“I believe this will strengthen our position more. Of course, there are other previous projects like the RM180 million water project under the water department that isn’t implemented. Why was the previous minister or chief minister not called in?” he said.

Anthony said he may be called in again tomorrow for another interrogation, while stressing he was ready to assist with all necessary documents.

Whether there was any indication that MACC would make an arrest, he said the commission has power to do so and that matter would be up to them.

Anthony arrived at the MACC office at 10.20am. At 5.20pm, he was seen coming out and met by a group of supporters. – NST