Prosecutors in the T Nhaveen murder trial have refused to entertain the family’s lawyers over new evidence in the ongoing case, said an activist today.
Arun Dorasamy said the attorney-general’s chambers have been giving the Nhaveen family the “silent treatment”, despite the apparent discovery of new evidence related to the brutal and fatal bashing of the 18-year-old four years ago.
“We are not trying to prevent the prosecutor or the AGC from doing their job, but the family lawyer is merely trying to present new evidence that they might find useful in the trial,” he said when contacted.
Arun said two letters had been written to the AGC on May 31 and June 10, while attempts to reach the prosecutor had also proved futile.
“If the AGC refuses to grant our lawyer a meeting, I, Nhaveen’s mother and T Previin will go on a hunger strike from June 22,” he said. Previin is Nhaveen’s best friend who was also beaten up by a group of youths at a park in Bukit Gelugor, together with Nhaveen.
Arun also called on the government to recognise June 15 as the Zulfarhan-Nhaveen Anti-Bullying Day to remember victims of those who have died as a result of bullying.
Navy cadet Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain, 21, was tortured to death on June 1, 2017, by his peers at Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia.
“Since Zulfarhan and Nhaveen’s deaths were two weeks apart, the government ought to recognise this day to raise awareness against bullying and ragging culture.
“And also, what has happened to the anti-bullying laws that the government promised to come up with?”
Nhaveen’s murder trial will continue on June 29 and 30.
Last month, Previin, Nhaveen’s mother Shanti, and Shanti’s brother Karunagaran lodged four police reports, pointing out that more than four people were involved in the crime.
Among others, Previin’s report claimed that about 20 people were believed to be involved in the case. Previin also reportedly received death threats and has left Penang for safety reasons. – FMT