Dr Mahathir Mohamad refused to comment yesterday on an allegation by one of his ministers that he wanted Mohamed Azmin Ali removed as PKR deputy president following the latter’s implication in the gay sex video controversy earlier this year.
Zuraida Kamaruddin said on Sunday that PKR president Anwar Ibrahim claimed the prime minister had wanted him to sack his deputy.
The housing and local government minister said Anwar had made the claim in a private meeting between them at Parliament house about four months ago.
However, Mahathir brushed off reporters’ questions on the matter.
“There is no need to ask that,” he said after catching a screening of local animation film Ejen Ali: The Movie last night.
In June, former PKR Santubong Youth leader Haziq Aziz said he was one of two men seen in a series of video clips that went viral on social media.
He claimed Azmin was the other man, a charge the economic affairs minister denied, saying the clips were released with the goal of killing off his political career.
Police said last month that an expert from the US had been engaged to verify the authenticity of the video.
Mahathir had defended Azmin when the clips were released, insisting that they were fake and that Haziq had a political agenda. – FMT