Students Charged with Murdering Newborn Babies

- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Two eerily similar cases of students allegedly killing their newborn babies in campus bathrooms – one faces the death penalty, while the other escapes a 75-year sentence

  • Kedah student, 20, charged for drowning newborn in toilet bowl of hostel
  • Post-mortem showed baby born alive
  • Illinois student, 21, pleads guilty in plea bargain to felony endangering life of child
  • Sentenced to 10 years in jail
  • Originally charged with first-degree murder for suffocating newborn in residence hall bathroom
  • Detained with deceased newborn inside backpack


A student of Kolej Pertanian Malaysia in Bukit Kayu Hitam was charged in a magistrate’s court today for drowning her newborn baby boy in the toilet bowl of a hostel. According to The Star, the incident allegedly took place in the women’s toilet on the third floor of the college at 5:20 pm on Mar 30.

Nur Izzati Adi, a 20-year-old first-year student in food processing, nodded her head when the charge was read out to her. No plea was recorded from the accused, who is still in confinement.

The eldest of four siblings from Sungai Petani, Nur Izzati was denied bail and sent to the Pokok Sena prison. She was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code which carries the mandatory death penalty upon conviction.

The case is set for re-mention on Jun 7 pending completion of the post-mortem report. An initial post-mortem report showed that the baby was born alive.

Police have also arrested a chalet assistant from Pendang in the investigations.

In another eerily similar case in Urbana located in the US county of Champaign, a former University of Illinois student was sentenced on Friday to 10 years after she was accused of suffocating her newborn son when she gave birth in a residence hall bathroom on Mar 13 last year.

Lindsay Johnson, 21, had been charged with first-degree murder which carries a sentence of up to 75 years in prison. She pleaded guilty to felony endangering the life or health of a child as part of a plea deal. Her sentence was the maximum possible under the Class 3 felony endangerment charge. She also was sentenced to one-year mandatory supervised release and could be out of prison in five years with good behaviour.

According to the New York Post, Champaign County State Attorney Julia Rietz said prosecutors made the deal because of concerns over proving intent to a jury at trial and risking acquittal. Johnson’s defence team said she took the deal instead of risking a longer prison term if she went to trial.

“She’s profoundly impacted by everything that happened,” defence attorney Tony Bruno said. “She’s remorseful beyond words.”

Bruno said that she hopes “others might learn from her story”.

Police had responded to a call from a student at the dorm who reported sounds of a baby crying and that Johnson was in the bathroom for a long time. When detained, she was wearing a backpack with the deceased newborn inside.

Johnson has been free on bond since her arraignment in April 2016. The University of Illinois terminated her enrollment in August.

She was taken into custody after the short court hearing on Friday, looking back at her parents as she went to a holding cell.