Apandi: Tun M can go fly kites

252
- Advertisement - [resads_adspot id="2"]

Mahathir defended his 2018 decision to remove Apandi, didn’t think Apandi deserved to be compensated at all.

Former attorney-general Tan Sri Apandi Ali has hit back at Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad for accusing him of being derelict in his duties pertaining to the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) case.

In the latest salvo, Apandi said the former prime minister can “go fly kites” over his remarks about the government’s out-of-court settlement of Apandi’s suit for wrongful dismissal.

“The action was based on the law of contract where Tun M decided to dismiss my contract without proper notice.

“That is the reason why the Attorney-General’s Chambers decided to settle the matter,” he said when contacted today.

Dr Mahathir, in his Facebook post today, defended his May 2018 decision to remove Apandi, saying he was now alarmed to learn that despite the 1MDB misconduct reported by former Bank Negara Malaysia governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Apandi did not take any action.

Dr Mahathir also questioned the government’s move to classify the terms of settlement of Apandi’s suit under the Official Secrets Act.

The former Langkawi member of parliament said he wanted a reason because he did not think Apandi deserved to be compensated at all.

On May 14, 2018, then-prime minister Dr Mahathir said Apandi had been asked to go on leave and that the Solicitor-General would assume his job.

On Oct 13, 2020, Apandi filed a suit seeking a declaration that the termination of his contract as attorney-general by Dr Mahathir was unlawful.

He named Dr Mahathir and the government as the first and second defendants, respectively.

On April 13 last year, it was reported that Apandi’s suit against Dr Mahathir and the government was settled out of court.

Meanwhile, Apandi also questioned Dr Mahathir’s controversial decisions while in office, claiming that the latter was also derelict in relation to the government’s withdrawal of its judicial review application over Batu Puteh.

“He is yet to answer the people as to why he decided to withdraw our Batu Puteh case at the International Court of Justice.

“He made the decision without consulting anyone or agency, and it was done in a hush-hush manner with great speed.

“Isn’t that a blatant dereliction of duty?” he added.

On Jan 27, Attorney-General Tan Sri Idrus Harun said the government’s decision to withdraw its judicial review application in relation to Batu Puteh was “not in order and improper”.

In 2008, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled that Pedra Branca (Batu Puteh) belonged to Singapore, while sovereignty over the nearby Middle Rocks (Terumbu Karang Tengah) was awarded to Malaysia.

In 2017, the Malaysian government filed the application for a judicial review of the decision, but the Pakatan Harapan government under Dr Mahathir withdrew the application before the case was scheduled to be heard on June 11, 2018. – NST