An aide to Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has lodged a police report against Bersatu president Muhyiddin Yassin.
This was over Muhyiddin’s claim that his corruption charges were a result of the government misusing enforcement agencies to carry out political persecution.
Muhammad Kamil Abdul Munim, who is Anwar’s political secretary at the Finance Ministry, said the remarks – uttered after the Bersatu president was charged on Friday – were slanderous and insulting.
“It is clear that his statement was a malicious accusation, insulting, and defamatory with the aim of creating ill perceptions on the integrity of enforcement agencies and prosecutors, as well as to damage Anwar’s image,” he said in his police report sighted by Malaysiakini.
The police report was lodged in Putrajaya.
On Friday, Muhyiddin was charged with abuse of power and money laundering involving RM232.5 million – allegedly obtained from three companies and an individual during his time as prime minister.
The Bersatu president and his supporters have implied that these were political donations.
Muhyiddin was slapped with another RM5 million money laundering charge today in relation to the Jana Wibawa programme.
In his police report, Kamil noted that both the MACC and Attorney-General’s Chambers had denied political interference in their work.
As such, he urged police to investigate Muhyiddin for his defamatory remarks.
Last December, Anwar had denied ordering police to probe his rivals and said that criticism was allowed.
“I have never ordered (police to probe critics). In fact, I told the inspector-general of police that criticism of the prime minister and government is allowed in a democratic system.
“I will also be using that (democratic space) to answer my critics,” the prime minister had said.
Since coming to power, Anwar has filed defamation suits against the following:
- Muhyiddin, for claiming that Anwar received RM15 million as the Selangor economic adviser.
- Perak PAS chief Razman Zakaria, for claiming that Anwar has an “LGBT agenda”. The matter has been settled after Razman’s public apology.
- Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor, for claiming that Anwar was “out of akhlak”.
- Kuala Terengganu MP Ahmad Amzad Hashim, for claiming that Anwar lied about receiving a salary of RM1 as the Selangor economic adviser.
- Pendang MP Awang Hashim, for calling Anwar “vindictive”. – Malaysiakini