Former Cradle Fund CEO Nazrin Hassan died of multiple head injuries that were not caused by a charging mobile phone that supposedly exploded near him, according to the findings of a second post-mortem.
News portal The Malaysian Insight reported that the second autopsy did not find explosion injuries in Nazrin’s head, which was what the first post-mortem at Hospital Kuala Lumpur had reported.
“We were told that the cause of death was multiple head injuries and not injuries caused by a blast.
“We were also told that the autopsy report has been sent to the Attorney General’s Chambers for further instructions,” an unnamed family member was quoted saying.
The 45-year-old man died in a fire that broke out at his two-storey house in Mutiara Damansara on June 14 last year.
Initially, Cradle Fund issued a statement claiming that Nazrin died due to the explosion of a mobile phone.
This was supported by the first autopsy report.
However, the police suspected that Nazrin was murdered after a Fire and Rescue Department investigations suggested that foul play was involved. Traces of petrol were discovered in the bedroom.
The case was then reclassified as murder.
Police had arrested several family members, including his widow Samirah Muzaffar, their two teenage sons, Samirah’s first husband, as well as her sister and brother-in-law, but have since released them without charges.
On October 1 last year, police applied for a court order to exhume Nazrin’s body from the Section 9 Muslim Cemetery in Kota Damansara.
Samirah tried to block the exhumation but the application was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
A three-man bench, chaired by Mohtarudin Baki, dismissed Samirah’s application on grounds that the application had no merit and upheld an order issued by the high court on October 4 allowing the police to exhume the body.
The exhumation was conducted on October 8 and the remains taken to University Malaya Medical Centre for the second post-mortem.
Nazrin’s remains were exhumed after his brother, Dr Malek Hassan, filed a police report raising doubts over the initial autopsy findings.
The release of the second post-mortem had been delayed, though no public explanation has been given.
Oct 11, Reburial of Cradle CEO Postponed
Oct 8, Cradle CEO’s Body Exhumed
Sept 14, Cradle CEO’s Widow Released
Sept 9, Cradle CEO’s Stepsons Arrested